Monday, April 21, 2008

Bill Elkington: "Beauty Had Me at Its Feet"

I've always been partial to the aesthetic of the natural world. Long before I was a person of faith, I was a lover of beauty. One day I wondered into Yosemite Valley, and I could not for the life of me understand what was happening to me. I was overwhelmed, shot through with an awe and a wonder and a sense of the holiness of the place. And here I was an atheist. It didn't make any sense to me why I was weak in the knees. But I was. I couldn't deny it. There was something in me that recognized and responded to the mystical, God's own presence there. Beauty had me at its feet, and I was indeed convinced of the reality of something that rationalism did not begin to approach until the birth of quantum physics.

Read more from Bill Elkington here.

TELL US THE STORY OF YOUR JOURNEY

No comments: